Boot Camp- Day 4

Life happened on Day 4. My sister called and said, "I promise I did not read your blog!" "I had no idea you all were doing a boot camp. I am so sorry!!" she stammered.

"What are you talking about?" I asked her.

"I mailed a box of homemade cookies to your house yesterday and it should arrive today!" she half way laughed. The ironic thing is that she has NEVER mailed us food before..

Ever!!!

"Great!"I  groaned. "Let the testing begin." I gave the kids the choice to give in or to stay strong when the box of homemade cookies arrived. Since my sister is an incredible cook and we LOVE everything she makes, this was a serious bump in the road. Each of them said they wanted to stand strong and we put the box in the freezer until boot camp is over. I was VERY proud of them. I think they grew in character as well as health on Day 4.

My oldest son turned 18 and working around it was fairly easy. First I gave him a "free pass" to choose as he wished on his special day. Second I used wholesome natural ingredients and made a very rich brownie cake for him. When my third child, second son saw me concocting the birthday dessert he said, "Mom, you better not make me a 'healthy' dessert on my birthday!" Then when he tasted it he said in between bites, "Mom, you can make this on my birthday!"
Below is the recipe:

Iced Brownies

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter (melted)
  • 1 cup raw sugar
  • 2 eggs (organic only!)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (I grind my oats in my Vitamix)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar ( I grind my raw sugar in the Vitamix to make this powdered sugar. It works beautifully!)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
  2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook.
  4. To Make Frosting: Combine 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Frost brownies while they are still warm.