Day 9- The Kiss of Death


I’m a hypocrite…just thought you would want to know. While the aroma of brownies waft around my nose, I am going to tell you how bad sugar is for you. Sugar is addictive and fattening. It is impossible to eat too much sugar regularly and be healthy. Sugar pounds on your thyroid, alters your mood and messes with your pancreas…Its only GOOD attribute is that it TASTES YUMMY.


At one point in my life, I fasted from it for seven solid years--I needed to take a break from the seducing fare, because I was addicted and did not know how to eat only one brownie. I had to completely restrain myself--with me it was ALL or NOTHING...NO dessert or HALF THE CAKE. I had headaches, fluctuating weight, no sense of well being... and more. Once I “got off of it” I was scared to death of the tempting sweets, unsure if self-control would always be an issue. I wondered if I would ever be the master and sugar the slave.


Thankfully, many years have passed, and I can eat sugar in moderation.


I do not need to give you an apologetic convincing you to cut down on sugar. 


*You know it alters your hormones. 


*You know it messes with your whole chemistry. 


*You know it makes you fat. 


So what are you waiting for? If you are addicted to sugar, begin a sugar fast, but get ready for the withdrawals since you body has become dependent. Sugar should be a once in a while thing in your home.

My kids whine sometimes because we are not normal and our pantry is not stocked with the sugary treats our neighbors have, but other times they thank me, because deep down they know that eating sugar everyday rots teeth, attributes to diabetes, acne and other major inconveniences. Get the sugar in your life under control.

Physical Challenge: Throw away all white sugar in your home. Substitute raw, unbleached sugar instead. Guard your mouth from eating sugar more than twice a week.

Spiritual Challenge: Memorize 2 Corinthians 4: 16-18, “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the thins that are unseen are eternal.”