Embrace the Struggle


I sit at the piano and listen to a young son trip over the keys. This new song is unfamiliar, uncomfortable to his hands…awkward to his ears.

His confidence plummets…focus wavers and head drops.

Like all of us, he wants to soar…but the pain of rising is sometimes enough to keep him on the ground.

The wrong notes tell him he can’t do it. His tripping fingers mock him.

“Look up, son. You can do this!!” I remember my mom’s sweet encouragement in the same seat I sit in now. I remember the frustration and discouragement in my son’s place when my childhood person occupied it.



And the memory holds me there… to encourage him TO STAY.

He slides down his chair, “It’s SO HARD!! I don’t think I can!”

Do I tell him to embrace this feeling...to greet it as a welcomed friend?

“Let’s work on one measure at a time. No need to rush.” We take baby-steps.

“One measure at a time and before you know it, you’ll be flying through the whole piece,” I reassure.

Little does he know that the discipline of STAYING in his seat, when it get’s hard is training him for bigger struggles in his life. One day in the midst of struggling he will remember the feeling of accomplishment and his endurance will again…

Grow.

Stretching through the pain to soar to a new height.

Read the rest of the post HERE